Congratulations to Julian Black Antelope on his, Canadian Screen Awards nomination for his role on BLACKSTONE. Stream season 5’s episode, “Super Dad” on Netflix!
Satinder Kassoana Photos
What was your first memory in life, that you can recall?
This male voice saying: PUSH, PUSH…and then light…(Laughs) actually It seems more like a dream, but it was me sitting in a high chair listening to the sound of a woman singing a soft song while she washed dishes, her back was to me as she was silhouetted by the light from the window above the sink.
- When did you start in the film industry, how did you first get into acting?
After a 10-year career in the Canadian music business, my transition to film and television was initiated on Stephen Spielberg’s 6-part miniseries Into The West (2005). From there I took a few different weekend workshops for Film & TV, and just started plowing through things and learning as I went along…mostly from making my own mistakes of what not to do!
- What do you love most about being in film?
Bringing a writer’s vision to fruition, into a living breathing soul, being constantly in a state of creativity and completely “in the moment”. THAT’S where we all need to be. That’s why I love acting, it liberates you.
- What projects have you been a part of this year?
My own, (Laughs), seriously though, I’ve been focused pretty heavily on development of projects, writing and producing and the launch of 775 Media Corp, the Fantastic production company I’m proud and grateful to be part of! Great things are coming!
- How was working with Benjamin Ross Hayden in The Northander? What was that like being on set? It was a lot of fun, and a lot of hard work at the same time as we all wore a few “Hats” on the show. Ben’s a really great guy to work with as an Actor and as a Stunt Coordinator, his energy never falters and his imagination is limitless! He’s got a lot of talent which is so nice to see in our community! I’ve been privileged to get a sneak peek at some of the finished product and it looks amazing!
- Blackstone, tell us more about your role and the show, which is now on Netflix congratulations!
Originally it was just meant to be a day player role, a quick in and out, but Ron Scott and the writers saw something they liked and decided to take a chance on me by building out my character in season 3 and keeping me on for the rest of the seasons. And that’s something for which I am and always will be truly grateful for. It was a blast playing Darrien Tailfeathers…in spite of him being such an asshole I’m actually gonna miss that guy.
- What do you do as your hobby? When I get time, I like to make traditional weapons and crafts, things like War shields, hand drums, war clubs. Its tedious work, but I love getting lost in the process. I also draw, paint, sculpt, and basically am always creating.
8. Tell us about your heritage and what it means to you now being a successful Aboriginal Actor! I’m a mix, a half breed. Half Irish and Half Native. Acting for me means being truthful art of acting, to the character and story and knowing where your character fits into that world, not always trying to make it about yourself. As for success? I guess that depends on one’s measure of it. Yes I’ve got a few things to “Write home about”, but I’ve still got a long ways to go for my list to be complete.
Satinder Kassoana Photos
- What are your favorite shows you watch?
Psychological thrillers, Drama, foreign films and the stuff that makes you think. Shows and films with content. Doesn’t matter what Genre, I love them all.
- Tell us where you came from (born and raised)
Born in Calgary at a Nun hospital where they took in babies that were given up in birth and placed into an adoption agency. From there I was adopted and raised a farm outside of Fort MacLeod Alberta, just a ¼ mile away from the Buffalo Jump.
- Your sign…you’re birthday month.
In the Chinese zodiac: Rooster: Fire Sign.
In the western version: Leo: Fire sign August.